The application phase to begin the degree programme in the winter semester begins in January of each year. Application materials must be postmarked by 30 April. Each year, approx. 12 new students will be admitted to the World Music B.A. programme. The programme always begins in winter semester.
Those who wish to apply to participate in an entrance exam, usually in June each year, must submit the following application materials by 30 April of the same year:
- Completed application for admission
- Proof of a university degree with a standard period of study of at least 6 semesters in the form of a certified copy of your graduation transcript and diploma or, if the degree has not been completed at the time of application, a current transcript. You may then deliver the graduation transcript at the time of your entrance exam or at the latest by 31 December of the year of enrolment.
- USB stick containing relevant productions. CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays and diskettes will not be accepted. For the concentration Performing Artist and Educating Artist, at least one of the titles should also be submitted as a live video (either solo or with a band, maximum 200 MB).
- CV in tabular form
- Proof of required level of German language, at least level C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, e.g. DSH exam level 2, must be supplied by the end of the first semester. (This is not necessary for German citizens graduated from German schools, those who have been educated in Germany or those who have a university entrance qualification from a foreign institution with German as the language of instruction.)
Additional information for international applicants
- A valid visa/residence permit must be submitted at the latest by the start of the programme.
- International applicants must attach a certificate to their university qualification stating that it is equivalent to the German Abitur (A-levels) or university degree. Stuttgart Academy of Art and Design (ABK Stuttgart) is currently in charge of examining university qualifications. Click here to apply to have your degree recognised. Contact
Studiensekretariat der Akademie der Bildenden Künste
Am Weißenhof 1
70191 StuttgartNote: A degree obtained in Germany also serves as a certificate of equivalence for a foreign secondary school diploma.
- Please note: For German citizens with foreign secondary school degrees, please contact: Regierungspräsidium Stuttgart, Abt. 7 Schule und Bildung, Anerkennungsstelle, Postfach 103642, 70031 Stuttgart, Tel.: 0711/9 04 40-700.
- The World Music programme is accredited by the Accreditation, Certification and Quality Assurance Institute ACQUIN.
- The degree programme at the Popakademie Baden-Württemberg is supported by BAföG.
- The application deadline for the start of the Winter Semester is 30 April (postmark deadline).
- The date for the entrance exam is announced on the WM Facts page.
- The beginning of studies is only possible during the winter semester.
- Here you can find the regulation of the Ministry of Science, Research and Art concerning the qualification for studying at the Popakademie Baden-Württemberg (in German).
- The admission to the Popakademie requires the acceptance of the valid usage regulations (in German).
- There are no tuition fees for domestic students obtaining their main degree at the Popakademie Baden-Württemberg. For international students and for those pursuing a second course of study, the universities of Baden-Württemberg have been charging tuition fees since 2017.
Please send application materials to the following address:Popakademie Baden-Württemberg
DeutschlandWe hope you’ll understand that we are unable to return your application materials upon completion of the application process.