Every year, approximately 20 students are admitted to the Master’s programme Music and Creative Industries. The programme always begins in Winter Semester. In addition to having a B.A. or B.Sc. in a relevant field, the applicant’s practical experience is a decisive factor in determining their admission.
Those who wish to apply to participate in an entrance exam, usually taking place in July of each year, must submit the following application materials by 15 June of the same year:
- Completed application form
- A certified copy of your graduation transcript and diploma stating your degree and studies. Should the graduation transcript not be available at the time of the application, please submit a certified copy of completed courses and grade point average at the time of the application.
- Proof of university entrance qualification in the form of a certified copy of your diploma/graduation transcript.
- CV in tabular form in German
- An approximately 300 word letter of motivation in German typed on a separate sheet of paper that answers the following questions:
Why would you like to study at the Popakademie and under which conditions do you qualify?
In which professional field do you see yourself working upon completing your studies? Please justify your answers
- Proof by certificates or project reports of at least six months of practical experience, e.g. professional activity, internships, volunteer work in organization and administration in the fields of music, cultural or creative industries. If more than six months of practical experience are demonstrable, please enclose supporting documents as well.
For professional experience, you can also include various voluntary and part-time jobs and internships, provided that they have been of considerable scope and that these have been proven by certificates and/or project reports. Please submit only project reports of projects in which you were significantly involved and describe exactly your share of the project result or your areas of responsibility.
You are welcome to submit work and/or reading samples to prove your practical experience in the PR field.
ATTENTION: Practical experience that has not been submitted or confirmed cannot be taken into consideration.
Additional information for international applicants
- Proof of required level of German language, at least level C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, e.g. DSH exam level 2, must be supplied.
- A valid visa/residence permit must be submitted at the latest by the start of the programme.
- International applicants must attach a certificate to their university qualification stating that it is equivalent to the German Abitur (A-levels) or university degree. Stuttgart Academy of Art and Design (ABK Stuttgart) is currently in charge of examining university qualifications. Click here to apply to have your degree recognised. Contact
Studiensekretariat der Akademie der Bildenden Künste
Am Weißenhof 1
70191 StuttgartNote: A degree obtained in Germany also serves as a certificate of equivalence for a foreign secondary school diploma.
- Please note: For German citizens with foreign secondary school degrees, please contact: Regierungspräsidium Stuttgart, Abt. 7 Schule und Bildung, Anerkennungsstelle, Postfach 103642, 70031 Stuttgart, Tel.: +49 711 90440700
- The Music & Creative Industries programme is accredited by the Accreditation, Certification and Quality Assurance Institute ACQUIN.
- Application materials cannot be returned.
- The beginning of studies is only possible during the winter semester.
- An applicant may take the entrance exam a maximum of two times.
- The date for the entrance exam is announced on the MCI Facts page.
- The application must be postmarked by the end of the application deadline.
- Here you can find the regulation of the Ministry of Science, Research and Art concerning the qualification for studying at the Popakademie Baden-Württemberg (in German).
- There are no tuition fees for a consecutive master's programme at the Popakademie Baden-Württemberg. For international students and for those pursuing a second course of study, the universities of Baden-Württemberg have been charging tuition fees since 2017.
Please send application materials to the following address:Popakademie Baden-Württemberg
Bewerbung Music and Creative Industries
Bewerbung Music and Creative Industries