The Music Business programme admits approx. 30 new students each year. The programme always begins in winter semester. Practical experience is a significant deciding factor in whether you are accepted.
Those who wish to apply to participate in an entrance exam, usually in June of the same year, must submit the following application materials by 30 April:
- Completed application for admission
- Certified general or subject-specific university entrance qualification or appropriate professional qualification with additional exam, see Info Sheet for studying without A-levels (German only)
- CV in tabular form
- Letter of motivation and suitability
- Certificates or project reports:
- Practical experience, e.g. work experience, internships, volunteer or part-time activities in organisation or administration in the music business world, e.g. development, organisation, production, sales
- Completed degree in commercial or media-related subject
- Completed intermediate diploma or comparable intermediate exam in economics, humanities or social sciences or from a media studies programme at a university or vocational academy
- Practical experience can also include internships as well as various volunteer and part-time activities, as long as they were comprehensive and can be proven through certificates and/or project reports. Please only submit project reports for projects in which you played a significant role, and describe in detail your contributions.
Additional information for international applicants
- Proof of required level of German language, at least level C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, e.g. DSH exam level 2. (This is not necessary for German citizens graduated from German schools, those who have been educated in Germany or those who have a university entrance qualification from a foreign institution with German as the language of instruction.)
- A valid visa/residence permit must be submitted at the latest by the start of the programme.
- International applicants must attach a certificate to their university qualification stating that it is equivalent to the German Abitur (A-levels) or university degree. Stuttgart Academy of Art and Design (ABK Stuttgart) is currently in charge of examining university qualifications. Click here to apply to have your degree recognised. Contact
Studiensekretariat der Akademie der Bildenden Künste
Am Weißenhof 1
- Please note: For German citizens with foreign secondary school degrees, please contact: Regierungspräsidium Stuttgart, Abt. 7 Schule und Bildung, Anerkennungsstelle, Postfach 103642, 70031 Stuttgart, Tel.: 0711/9 04 40-700.
- The Music Business programme is accredited by the Accreditation, Certification and Quality Assurance Institute ACQUIN.
- The application deadline for the start of the Winter Semester is 30 April (postmark deadline).
- We are unable to return any application materials submitted to us.
- The degree programme at the Popakademie Baden-Württemberg is supported by BAföG.
- The beginning of studies is only possible during the winter semester.
- An applicant may only take part twice in the entrance exam.
- Information about the entrance exam can be found in the Music Business FAQs.
- The date for the entrance examination is announced on the Facts page.
- Here you can find the regulation of the Ministry of Science, Research and Art concerning the qualification for studying at the Popakademie Baden-Württemberg (in German).
- There are no tuition fees for domestic students obtaining their main degree at the Popakademie Baden-Württemberg. For international students and for those pursuing a second course of study, the universities of Baden-Württemberg have been charging tuition fees since 2017.
Please send application materials to the following address:Popakademie Baden-Württemberg