Mannheim Songbook No. 01
Nineteen bands of the Popakademie. Songs from the past three years.
More than pop. All kind of genres of popular music.
That's what it's all about.
01 The Astronaut‘s Eye
Members: Sebastian Brödner, Malte Horstmann, Jonathan Kluth (ex.), Lucas Müller, Julian Scharpf
Genre: Indie / pop / electro
Recent release: Illumination EP (2010)
- Satellite is the theme song of a TV-series
- Gigs with Cold War Kids, Get Well Soon, and Kaki King
- Gigs at the Expo in Shanghai, and at the MIDEM 2011
- On the German SXSW Sampler „Wunderbar“ 2011
Get to know: The Astronaut‘s Eye, the eye of the astronaut, tells from a new, unusual point of view and enjoys one privilege: it sees through things.
Meet on: www.theastronautseye.com
Song: Nichts ist umsonst (Nothing is for free)
Members: Michael Ludes, Kai Steffen Müller, Tobias Noormann
Genre: Indie pop
Recent release: Album „ Nichts ist umsonst“
- Participants at the Bundesvision Songcontest 2010
- More than 200 gigs in Germany
Get to know: Mikroboy's guitar driven and complex sound meets the charming mix of a little bit Atari nostalgia, keybord clouds, or once in a while a piano that is in search for a melody. The magazine „Musikmarkt“ (music market) calls Mikroboy „ein junges Gestirn an Deutschlands Musikmelancholiker-Himmel" (a young star on Germany's melancholia-sky of musicians).
Meet on: www.mikroboy.com
03 Franz White
Song: Colour me
Members: Franz Weischet, Raphael Bartel, Pit Banzhaf
Since: 2007 (since 2010 a trio)
Genre: Minimalist / pop
Recent release: Album „Colour Me“
- 2009 support act for Kate Nash at the Sputnik Studio
- „Straßenmusik-Wohnzimmerkonzert-Grillparty-Sommer-Tour 2009" (Street music-living room concert-barbecue-summer-tour 2009)
Get to know: A drum, a guitar, and the voice of Franz are enough to give insight into the depths of human nature, to separate itself from it, and to talk to the whole world at the same time.
Meet on: www.myspace.com/franzwhite
04 Marie & The Redcat
Song: So many birds
Members: Lisa Marie Neumann, Florian Donaubauer, Johann Seifert, Bino Engelmann, Wolfgang Morenz
Genre: Acoustic pop
Recent release: EP „Golden Cage“
- Support act for Söhne Mannheims
- Gig at Arena of Pop, Mannheim
- PopCamp participants 2010
Get to know: Cosy and exciting at the same time - music for cuddling. Close your eyes and dance or just listen to the lyrics. Freak out or do whatever you wanna do - but: switch off your mind and enjoy!
Meet on: http://www.myspace.com/marieandtheredcat
05 Betty Dittrich
Song: You and I were gonna be lovers
- author at Universal Music Publishing
- is producing her debut album
Get to know: Betty is a Swedish singer and multi-instrumentalist. She grew up in a family of musicians and music is a part of her life since early childhood. Her music has a whiff of pop elements from the 60s and 70s and comes to life through Betty's energy and emotion.
Meet on: www.bettydittrich.com
06 The Intersphere
Song: Prodigy Composers
Members: Christoph Hessler, Thomas Zipner, Sebastian Wagner, Moritz Müller
Genre: Rock / alternative / progressive
Recent release: „interspheres><atmospheres“
- Worldwide release of "Interspheres><Atmospheres" through American label Progrockrecords
- Rock am Ring 2007 and 2009
- About 200 concerts (in GER-A-CH-NL-RO-HR-TR)
Get to know: A band that sounds like "Pink Floyd“ and "The Mars Volta“ are smoking one or two funny cigarettes together and discuss concept albums and exceptionally gifted drummers, and in the end of the night recipes for the perfect song.
Meet on: www.theintersphere.com Prodigy Composers by TheIntersphere
Members: Filou, Philipp, David, Lorenzo, Henne
Genre: Indie / electro acoustic
Recent release: Welcome Home (EP) (Snowhite/Universal)
- played shows with "Trail Of Dead", "The Virgins", „Mikroboy“, "Everything Everything", "Get Well Soon", and "The Kilians"
- The band has perfomed in Luxembourg, Switzerland, Lithuania, France, and Iceland (Iceland Airwaves Festival).
Meet on: www.searchingforabby.com
Song: Weißt du noch (Do you still remember)
Mitglieder: Wolfgang Morenz, Christoph Kilgenstein, Florian Donaubauer, Johannes Nebel, Stefan Wandel
Genre: German singer / songwriter
- Debut album „Geradeaus“ (Straight forward) 2006
- Gig at Rock am Ring 2008
Get to know: „Wolle“ (wool) is not a cheap fabric but a solid handcraft made by professional musicians with a big red threat of commitment. Every song is supposed to get under one's skin and from there into the heart, the mind, and the legs. The band is followed like a ladder by the thought of creating perfect moments with their music.
Meet on: www.wolleband.de
Weißt Du noch
09 Elen Kaiser
Song: Einsam wach (Awake alone)
Genre: Electro / pop
- Debut album released in 2008
Get to know: Elen Kaiser lets disco balls rise into the sky so that everyone again believes that partying princesses, who are into electro driven beats and sparkling synthie grooves, exist. She has to say a lot about danceable electro music, and she wraps her lyrics charmingly into trendy tunes. When partying in a small apartment, Paul Kalbrenner and Mia would probably be her favourite neighbours.
Meet on: www.myspace.com/elenkaiserzeit
Members: Andreas Ohnhaus, Sascha Ebert
Genre: Electro / pop
- Andreas Ohnhaus is a singer and songwriter. Thanks to his musical range he writes and sings for various projects across all kinds of genres. He has worked for Warner Chapell and Echozone Music.
- Sascha Ebert is a producer and remixer for dance music and has worked with acts like Kate Ryan and Novaspace.
Get to know: The electro duo "fcuk_reality" first came to life during the international songwriter week in 2009. Singer Andreas and producer Sascha headed for electro music. They are currently working on their first EP.
11 Anneli Bentler
Song: Under the sea
Genre: Synthie pop
Get to know: Anneli is a multi-instrumentalist who enrolled at the Pop Academy after receiving an education in classical music. She creates graceful spheres with her songs.
Meet on: www.myspace.com/annelibentler
12 Luis und Laserpower
Song: Superheld 2000
Members: Luis, Judith, Sebl, Henne
Genre: Rock / hip hop
Recent release: EP „Superheld 2000"
- Winner at Play Live 2008
- Winner at Local Hereos 2008
- Gigs with Juli, Deichkind, Mia, Ohrbooten, and Turbostaat
Get to know: Whether broken warp driver or toxic catering: this team is unstoppable.
Meet on: www.luisundlaserpower.de Superheld 2000 by luisundlaserpower
Song: Action Action
Members: Jim Toronto,Pete Bohne, Chuck 'Eisenhieb' Weber, Jacques Michel
Genre: Rock / trash / action
Recent release: Album „Die Platte, von der alle reden“ (2010) (The CD everyone is talking about)
- Radio Regenbogen Talent Award
- Rock am Ring, Rock im Park 2010
- Album release KLINKT
Get to know: From chipping come chips.
Meet on: www.dasactionteam.de
14 Reich und Schön
Song: Klebrig (Sticky)
Members: Julius Reich, Nils Becker, Marius Klupp, Konrad Blasberg, Thorsten Rheinschmidt
Genre: Pop / soul
Recent release: EP „Kleine Gesten“ (Little gestures)
- Xavier Naidoo about Reich und Schön: „Ich kenne keinen, der Krawatte trägt und trotzdem so viel Soul in der Stimme hat.“ (I don't know anybody who is wearing ties and has so much soul in his voice at the same time.)
Get to know: Reich und Schön shine with disarming German lyrics, and songs far from any cliché. With their mix of soul, pop, and funk, they join artists like Udo Lindenberg, Rio Reiser, and Clueso.
Meet on: www.reich-und-schoen.com
Song: Get out
Members: Michael Rückert, Matthias Rückert, David LaPlant, Raffael Lewczuk
Genre: Pop / rock
Recent release: EP „Are You Ready To Come Home?”
Get to know: Polo skilfully keeps the balance between epic piano passages and impellent beats. An epic spherical sound meets beautiful melodies. Michael's striking voice turns music into seizable poetry. Stern.de calls them „die vielversprechendsten deutschen Musiker dieses Herbstes” (this autumn's most promising German musicians) (2010).
Meet on: www.myspace.com/poloofficial
16 David Lemaitre
Song: Jacques Cousteau
Members: David Lemaitre, Philipp (das Orchester) Thimm
Genre: Folk / electronica
Recent release: EP „Valediction" (2010)
- Support act for Chris Garneu, Tunng, and Get Well soon
- performanced at Melt! Festival
Get to know: David Lemaitre writes and produces his music by himself and is accompanied on stage by Philipp (the orchestra) Thimm. It is said that from time to time people in the audience are seen crying - but noone ever really knows why.
Meet on: www.david-lemaitre.com Jacques Cousteau by lemaitre
17 Alina Wichmann
The Song: The song is a result of the songwriter week in 2010, which takes place every semester. Under the guidance of international top-class songwritern, teams of Pop Academy's producing und songwriting students work on songs commisioned by the music industry.
- Sang the German and American national anthems in front of 13.000 people at the SAP arena in Mannheim before the eishocky game San Jose Sharks versus Adler Mannheim in October 2010.
Meet on: www.myspace.com/alinawichmann
18 Timmy Rough
Song: Medicine man
- Debut album in 2011
Get to know: „Die Kids lieben Rock and Roll, viele wissen es nur noch nicht …“ (The kids love Rock and Roll - most of them just don't know it yet...) is Timmy Rough's motto. Up to now this has led him to stages of small pubs as well as of big open air festivals. He has performed with Jon Lord and Molly Hatchet.
Meet on: www.timmyrough.com
19 My Baby Wants To Eat Your Pussy
Members: Ziggy Has Ardeur, The Tiff, Eva D, Donni Bella Luna, Ray Gattner
Recent release: EP „Grace Is A Beautiful Thing To Lose, My Friend" (2010)
- Live Entertainment Award „Best Club Act 2009“
- 4 tours through 6 countries and over 200 gigs
Get to know: A band who spreads inspiration and innovation thorugh their spectacular songs and thrilling free spirit.
Meet on: www.mbwteyp.com MBWTEYP - Grace Is A Beatiful Thing To Lose, My Friend - Ginger by MBWTEYP